Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Not forgotten

It's been a while.

Consistency these past few months has been a concept unknown. With the semester finishing, which meant the completion of my Biola career, my day-to-day lacked deeply in the routine I so desperately loved. In between last minute assignments, studying, reading and packing, I was able to spend some precious time with dear friends. It's incredible that one could become so close to individuals within such a short period of time. While only meeting many of these people within the last four years and only being more intentional about my relationship with/to them within maybe the last year and a half, I consider them my brothers and sisters. God has brought me into a deeper understanding and connection to the family that is the Church. These men and women challenge me, pray with/for me and are continually pointing me, sometimes carrying me, towards the Cross. How will I take you all with me? Has our time together expired?

Then came graduation and for the 1st time in my four years I would be participating in the ceremonies. Praise Jesus for His faithfulness in carrying my through! Graduations in general are always soo long and it's usually hot. The speaker tends to be boring, as a spectator you cannot see the person you've come for, and the seats are always aggravatingly uncomfortable. My dream was always to graduate in December.
My reasons why:
  1. The ceremonies are held in the evening. COOL
  2. The Chase Gym is where the ceremony takes place. What I love about this is that the gym is place where chapel was held every M/W/F. We would sit on the floor or on the bleachers and listen to Ron "Buster" Hafer open with prayer or Todd Pickett lead us in a lectio divina, maybe hear a word from Clyde Cook or Biola's new President Barry Corey. We would then listen to an exhortation to enter into missions or receive words of wisdom on loving God. We would sing songs of worship to God, your voice getting lost in the crowd of students. Sometimes I would just stop and just look around at all the people worshiping Jesus. Some people were sitting, others standing, men and women laying face down, arms raised, students dancing. Everyone giving glory to God, each in a beautifully distinct way. Each heart expressing the same thing in it's own dialect. I love chapel. I love community. I love Jesus.
  3. Because it's December the Biola Christmas Tree is all lit up! The tree is beautiful and right outside of the gym. Likewise, framing the doors entering into the gym are large pine trees. It's as wintry as SoCal could ever be.
  4. Again, due to the timing of the graduation there are substantially less people graduating which means a short ceremony!
  5. Family and friends sit in the bleachers and while they are also quite unbearable to sit in for long periods of time (try for over 4 hours...yikes) the visibility factor is substantially better.
  6. Following the ceremony there is a reception in the Cafe with dessert and coffee and it's FREE! What? Thanks BIOLA.
But I did not graduate early and I did not graduate late...
I graduated on time and therefore did not get my wish. However I have no regrets. Sitting right behind me during the ceremony was my very own Priscilla and next to me was Lauren Jalowiec! Ok God, no big deal!
George Verwer gave a beautiful speech. I gave BC a hug. There was so much excitement and energy in the air on the day of graduation. There was also intense chaos. Especially right after the ceremony ended. I felt like an ant whose hill had just been stepped on.
I did not have any set plans after graduation and that made the choas less chaotic. I didn't even end up going to any grad parties but the day was great and for the most part stress free.

I'm a graduate. I have a BA. I'm BA. I'm growing up and I desire to resist that at every turn.


Oh yeah, before I forget to mention it, I got into grad school!!! The
Jane Addams College of Social Work at the University of Illinois at Chicago decided to accept me. They also decided to provide me with a 94% tuition waiver which comes out to roughly $24,000.

God, you are so good to me and I don't deserve it. For this reason I am all the more grateful. You know what I need and you never cease to show up exactly when I need you.

No comments: